Tuesday 27 March 2012

Film Noir Character Photoshoot - Profiles

Profiles

Bones Goodwin 



Barnaby Frisco



Adrianna Frisco



Choosing the Images


For the photoshoot we used a professional studio with lights, and decided to use a black background to set the dark themes. Above are the final images for each character that I found the best and chose to edit, and to the right are some of the contact sheets of the photographs taken which I chose from.

First of all I chose the Bones Goodwin image as I found the image was very effective being dead central, the character staring straight at the camera. I feel it also captured his personality and story well, with half his face in shadow to show he has a dark side, and the serious look in his face shows he is vengeful.

For Barnaby Frisco I chose two images as I felt they both were effective in different ways; I like how in the first image the way he is looking to the side, out to the distance and his face in the light, helps show he is troubled. The other, with Barnaby looking straight at the camera was equally interesting, and I like the way he is to the side of the frame. Seeing his expression directly in front of the camera shows strongly his anxiety.

For Adrianna, I liked this image as it showed her feisty nature having the necklace by her lip, and the direct eye contact is powerful, the eyes being defined with eyeliner. The arm helps lead the eyes to the face, and the shadow created by it shows theres more to her, with a darkness around her. The way her head is tilted slightly to the side makes her seem a curious character too.


Editing the images

To make the final images I edited them on Photoshop CS3. First of all with each image I made them black and white, to help set the Film Noir tone. I then used a high pass filter on hard light blending mode to boost the images lines and make it more defined. I then added a curve layer, making it darker for Bones Goodwin to give more shadows, and lighter for Barnaby Frisco to give more highlights, to give contrast between the characters. On the Adrianna image I also turned up the brightness on a layer mask to just the necklace, to help it be more noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment